Dr B.K.B. College established in 1967 has gradually emerged to be a premier institution of higher education with a difference. The college is named after Dr. Birinchi Kumar Barooah - a dedicated teacher, folklorist, research scholar and a renowned litteratuer of Assam who was born in the famous Kharangi Barooah family of Puranigudam. The college offers two years Higher Secondary Course under Assam Higher Secondary Education Council and Three Years Degree Course under Gauhati University in Arts. About one thousand students get their regular education upto degree standard with major in seven subjects. Three new general subjects viz. Sociology, Psychology and Sattriya Dance have been introduced recently. Apart from the regular course of study, a number of students get enrolled in Institute of Distance and Open Learning (IDOL) under Gauhati University, Krishna Kanta Handique State Open University and Diploma in Elementary Education Course (D. El. Ed.) erery year. A one year career Oriented Course (Fashion, Textile and Interior Designing) also continuing in the college under Gauhati University. With the celebration of its Silver Jubilee year in 1993 the institution humbly announces its steady progress, serious commitment to quality education.
The vision and mission of the college are :
To Impart higher education in Under Graduate Level to the cross section of learners (basically belonging to socio-economically backward communities) at an affordable cost through a syllabus designed by the parent university and a curricullum - extension interface at our own initiative.
Long Live Dr. Birinchi Kumar Barooah College.
- To Generate Knowledge and develop congnitive abilities through well-planned curriculum, co-curriculum and extra curriculum activities, teaching methods and evaluation procedure.
- To inculcate values and preserve socio-cultural identities, ensure equal development and to foster a sense of belongingness to the Nation.
- To create the academic environment for promotion of scholastic and non-scholastic activities.
- To promote the values of self-sustenance and self-reliance by introducing career-oriented programmers, vocational workshops, seminars etc. aiming at minimizing the legacy of bokish knowledge.
- To realize social needs and arouse awareness among the students regarding emerging new realities, environmental and other challenges.